All Night LaundryEdit
Does anyone know how to change the Tabs, Navigation bars and drop down Menus? I was just looking at other wikias and they seem to be able to change them like one had a tab for world then under that tab was characters, locations organizations and society then under characters there was a drop down menu of the various groups the characters fell into so for us that could be something like The Green team, Bina's crew, Alternate Bina's and Side characters or something like that and clicking on the drop down would lead to the category page for that group. Just thought it would make navigation a bit easier rather than always having to go back to the main page in order to get to a different page.
I think that just Granny or Grandma should be fine for her name because that's how Bina refers to her and it's not like we know Kendra's grandparents or anyone elses yet just like how in Homestuck Jake's guardians werent referred to as Jake's dad/ Jake's nanna but instead just dad and nanna. If we ever do come to a point in all night laundry where someone refers to Granny by a different name it can be changed then but for now at least I think Granny is Granny.
Does anyone know how to set tables to auto number themselves like you can in excel etc? I went into the source code and copy and pasted a tonne to make all those rows but I don't want to manually number 1390 rows (the current number of pages in ANL) if it's unneccessary I haven't been able to find any easy ways to add auto numbering I've tried adding a # like some places seem to suggest but that doesn't seem to work I don't know very much about coding I generally just rely on copying and pasting prewritten stuff and modifying it a little.
still wondering about numbering the tables there has to be a way :T do you guys actually find the page summaries useful at all?
Use Full Pages
Map of the survay camp. http://www.all-night-laundry.com/post/401
Since all the images and pages are so well numbered and labeled on the comic, I'm going to try to write a Python script to scrape all of the ###_a.png images and see if I can upload them here. It'll give us a good visual overview of the comic, plus almost every page probably starts with a png. I'll probably just skip the gifs. Let me know if this seems like a bad idea for any reason that I can't think of.
EDIT: I have a quite functional script, grabs first gif/png on every specified page. The scrape takes a bit of time, so let me know if there's anything else I should nab from the site while my program traverses it. I'll probably run the script sometime around 7 hours from me posting this note. I'll try to find a way for the script to upload to the site as I go.
The Botfly and The Hound, or just Botfly and Hound?
Should we have the pages named for the full title (including The), or just use the main names? Additionally, should The Hound share a page with Piotyr? Currently the page for the Botfly is just 'Botfly'
- I'd argue that the Hound and Piotyr should be separate. For one, one is an ally and the other is an enemy as far as we know. Plus there's enough info about both of them to warrant full articles.
- As far as adding "the," I'm not really sure. Saying "The Hound" feels more natural to me than just "Hound," which is why I wrote it like that. But if you'd like to institute a policy, I'm happy to follow it.
Oh my god, when was Kendra introduced?? I've looked in three different places for when we first learn her name, hoping to find her last name. So far, it seem like we just magically know to call her Kendra in post 0177 (http://www.all-night-laundry.com/post/177), but that can't be right?
I've already checked when Bina first learns that Gregor has her in his office (http://www.all-night-laundry.com/post/118), and around when Bina finally regains her speech and introduces herself to Kendra (http://www.all-night-laundry.com/post/224). No luck. Can anyone else think of when she might have told us her full name?
I think you're right about us magically knowing Kendra's first name I think that Zach just made a slight mistake there not that any of us really noticed anyway. Also the first time that she calls Kendra, Kendra verbally at leasr I think is here http://www.all-night-laundry.com/post/216 I don't think there's any reason to not make a Kendra page yet. We don't have to include everything just what we know so far then as we research and revise and more people add their tidbits and corrections it will get more detailed and correct. An error filled page can eventually be perfected but a nonexistant page can never be.
- That was exactly why I didn't make a Kendra page yet. Maybe when she's talking about/to her family in the hospital? By the way, how are you able to look through the archives so quickly and find what you're looking for? Seriously nice work on The Hound page.
- No real trick, unfortunately. I'm mostly guessing when I click on a link, especially the ones that are still "Bina does stuff." The ones that are labeled are usually good jumping off points, and multiple tabs are a godsend. But thanks!
- I guess we should just go ahead and make a Kendra page without her last name for now? And we can add it in later if/when somebody finds it. I'm pretty sure wikia does mostly okay with page title changes.
So I've been going page by page through the acrchive to get the page numbers for chapter breaks and character introductions. I'll add injuries to the list since that page was made. Any other requests? should i aslo not time travel, moment use, and portal use?
- I think the most important thing is getting a solid table of contents. The issue (for me at least) is that I can remember reading about certain events, and I can think of pages that have great images and key plot points, but there's no way to really find pages without doing a guess and check archive trawl. Haha I just realized that we're kind of making our own wall of post-it notes
- I think it will be helpful to mark key pages - pages where they get key items, make important realizations, see important buzzwords. Also interesting would be pages that are still unexplained - places where nobody knows what's going on yet. Like what was B3 going to explain about different types of time travel before she was cut off?
- Thanks for going through the archive, it will really speed up work on gathering references!
- NonchalantAnemone (talk) 04:44, February 28, 2017 (UTC)
A Divsion of Moments and Gadgets
First, right now the Moment page is a stube but seems to be refering to Bina's Moment. Should we create a separate page for the Botfly' Moment or merge the two topics? Second, all of Bina's gadgets are verry important to the story. I see three ways we could go about adressing them: 1) put them in the abilities section of Bina's page, 2) create a general page for abilites that are (probably) granted by the Botfly, or 3) create a dedicated Gadgets page. Thoughts?
- I might have missed stuff, or I might just be completely wrong, but I'm not sure the Botfly is in a moment. Like I guess people have referred to it that way, but it seems quite different from Bina's moment. I think it would be best to have two separate pages for the moments, if we are going with that.
- For the gadgets, I think they should definietly have their own page. Even if it isn't technically correct, the gadgets seem different from direct Botfly wish-granting. So Bina's page would mention her woo-woo arm, and maybe link to a page that's like "Botfly Abilities" that lists woo-woo arm, Amie Doctor Who stuff and other things, and then maybe reference gadgets from there. I'm no expert on wiki organization, but I think as long as we stay consistent everything ought to make sense.
- NonchalantAnemone (talk) 05:00, February 28, 2017 (UTC)
- I'm mostly going by Bina's statement to the director on page 1238 "I don't know. I think they're - they're in a place disconnected from time. That place is a single fragment of time, fed into itself, cutoff from the rest of the world. There are many places like that now but this one is special. This one is a moment, possibly the only moment, where the Botfly is manifest, where it's more then just a symbol, or a thought or an idea. At that moment, in that place, it's real. That's where it's taking people, that's where it feeds." This seems to indicate that bina thinks that here moment and any other isolated moment is the time travel macinery thats attached to it. Also, if the botfly is oly manafent in a single moment what happened to the rest of its day a la "What kind of maggot grows in the corpse of a day" ? Your ideas about the gadets seem sound. Pages can always be merged later.
- DaffGrind (talk) 05:17, February 28, 2017 (UTC)
- TBH, I think creating new and separate pages for any object that seems worthy is a good plan for right now. Over half the wiki is stub articles because we just got started. If we tried to combine all the stubs just because they're stubs now, then we'd just have to go back and split them up again later once we had more content.
- In a couple weeks, after we've got a few good and well-rounded articles under our belts, we can start going through stubs and seeing what actually has enough cannon content to become a full article and what would benefit from being condensed with other pages.
- I think right now the focus should be on adding content, and we can organize it later? But maybe that's totally wrong. Maybe we should make one fully finished page (or like, one per article type, like one character, one location, etc.) and polish it up, so that we have a structure to work with for other pages? Not sure now.
"What kind of maggot grows in the corpse of a day?"Edit
I want to create a page for that message on the door, but I'm not sure what the title should be, or if it's better left as a section on a different page (like Josephine's office or just the retcon page?).
- "What kind of Maggot grows in the corpse of a day?" (Full quote, prob too ong??)
- "What kind of Maggot ..." (partial quote, might make linking weird?)
- "Corpse of a Day" (might be more relevant to other things?)
- "The Message" (not very specific, kinda boring, might be more relevant to other things)
- "The Message on the Office Door" (kinda long and boring)
It's important to the story, and other pages already allude to it and would benefit from a link to page about it, but I'm not sure if there's really enough information about it to fill up a whole page.